Monday, October 5, 2009

Everything, everything. in it´s right. place. in it's right. place.

So. Now I´ll explain everything (a little) better.

We went to this town in the moutains, right? Very close to where I went about a month earlier. In fact, that´s where we went first. And then on to Carhuaz...

Remember when I told you about the parade in downtown Lima celebrating the armed forces and the catholic church? Well, this festival was celebrating the very same saint.... except there were no armed forces involved this time... rather, and as a very fabulous replacement were the danzantes (dancers, or groups of dancers) that came from pueblos all around Carhuaz to celebrate the sensacional, miraculous, incredible Virgen who has bestowed limitless generocity and compassion on all the people of these communities over the last year. And when I say danzantes, I'm refering to groups of indigenous people, or people of indigenous descent, who wear traditional outfits, dancing traditional dances, that, at least to the foreigner, seem only very slightly related to anything dealing with the Catholic church. For example, there where the Atahualpas, Shacshas, Cuzqueñitas. and another type of dance that I can´t spell... and it reminded me very much of the Native American music and rituals that they teach you about in grade school and high school. Hopefully, but probably not, someday I´ll post some pictures.
Also, there was a lot of Chicha, a fermented drink, involved as well. Not as strong as Chuchuwasi (fermented drink from the Selva) but strong enough to put a goofy smile on my face and facilitate half-understood conversations with drunk old men.
Aside from that, we drank some rum, ate some cuy, did some other stuff, and got enough information about the Virgen, and then me and my compatriots, headed out for new lands and new adventures.

Me and one other boy, Pavel, went to Yungay, another small pueblo, so I could see Llanganuco, the Laguna that everybody knows about and plans on seeing. Well, we went, and I realized that I had already seen it the first time I had been in that part of the country, but didn't realize it. Regardless, it was still equally as amazing and breathtaking and tranquil and I loved it all the same. That night we satyed in a hostel. And the owner was an old lady, a grandma at least, with some very wise words, and some very good stories that she had aquired in her many years interacting with Peruvians and foreigners alike. And she told me...
"Ten cuidado.... los peruanos son muy amorosos pero muy celosos." Or something like...
"Be careful... Peruvian boys are very loving, but very jealous."
And those words, my friends, are some of the tried and truest words I can attest to in all of my time here. What an unfortunate combination of attributes! Maybe.

From there, I went back to Huaraz, where Pavel and I parted ways. I decided to go to some hot springs to waste time and bathe myself in some clean, hot, brown, natural water for two hours until the entirety of both of my hands were pruny like raisins. Thankfully, I had talked with one Peruvian enough for him to solicit my email address (and phone number of course) to which I gave the former and to which I will hopefully not respond. Also thankfully when I left, there was another Peruvian boy there who had come to the hot springs alone and was leaving alone, who had no plans (like me), and who hadn't eaten dinner. So, I went back with him and we meandered around and ate dinner at his friends house and had a very frank conversation about some very indepth things, and all the while, I felt very much at ease (which is usually not the case) and we had a good time. We went to this one bar for a short while where we watched these two ladies get into an intense fight. It was really weird. and funny. Like Jerry Springer. but real lilfe, and seriously right next to our table. Then my bus was about to leave for Lima, so I had to go. And before we parted ways, he solicited my email (and phone number of course) to which I give him the former and latter, and maybe someday, maybe in December, I'll go back and visit him, and see how life in the mountains is... and maybe, I will never see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment