Tuesday, December 22, 2009

First Impressions and a little context

I wanted to give you all my first impression comparisons of Sao Paulo with Lima.
Sao Paulo is clean and orderly. This city has a lot of money. You can drink water from the faucet. People obey the traffic lights. The sky is sunny. Im not getting suffocated by pollution. When we drive through the city, there are nice, new shiny cars. The buses are also shiny and new. People are not honking their horns all the time.
In Lima, the opposite of all of the above is generally true, depending on where you are.
Also, one really special thing about Lima is that you can pretty much get all of your products and documents as knock-offs or pirated goods or fake copies. Easily. without looking very far.
For example(s):
-You always need to check your bills and your coins because there is a very probable chance that it will be fake. Ive gotten fake money before. They do a pretty impressive job though.
-There is a street in the center of Lima called Azangarro where they replicate pretty much anythinng you want done- graduation certificates, identification cards, official letters, whatever. I already have plans of what documents I want fabricated.
- There is a place called La Cachina, like organized buildings, filled with stolen and second-hand goods: clothes, camping and hiking gear, cell-phones, laptops, iPods, shoes, everything. Ive been there. I bought a backpack.

As of right now, it seems like the easy access to a market like the one in Lima is just not as available or as necessary for a lot of the residents here. Because these people have money. But, when I make my final assessment of the black market situation, Ill let you all know.

Now for the context.
Im staying at my friend Mariah's dad's and stepmom's house in Sao Paulo. Mariah goes to school in Madison and was in Lima studying at La Catolica with me. Mariah's dad is a Brazilian who has lived in Sao Paulo for the last 20 some years. Next Monday we are going to Florianópolis to stay on the beach with the family of Mariah´s stepmom for a little more than a week. After that I will be venturing up to Bahia to spend the rest of my time here until I head back to Peru.

Also, when I come back, I hope to have a very very impressive collection of Brazilian music from Mariah's dad, who has one of my favorite music collections Ive ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment