Thursday, January 14, 2010

This is the Bahia that Im living in for now.... Arraial D'Ajuda

I've been in Bahia for 5 days now. And it is beautiful. Here's what it's like.

Arrail D'ajuda is a small beach/tourist/fishing town on the coast. It is sunny and unbelievably hot out every day. There are lots of tourists, but not as bad as florianopolis. All of the people that actually live in Arraial know each other.
I've also been doing capoeira every day with my group here. In fact, I've been taking classes with the mestre of Sul da Bahia. And you know what? Everybody here knows what Capoeira is.
Today I bought fabric so I can have someone make me my very own personal pants for capoeira.
I'm staying in a pousada, a family run motel/bead and breakfast type thing. It isn't nice, but I like it. The couple that owns the place have the pousada, which is also their house where two of their daughters and a niece live as well, and also have a restaurant that one of the daughters runs. Two of their daughters got married to foreigners... one moved to california and the other moved to Italy.
Last night after capoeira I didn't want to do anything, so I sat in the living room and watched the butterfly effect dubbed over in Portuguese... that movie is weirddddd.
Yesterday as I was walking around I was watching two guys carying 5 foot-long fish into a store that sells fish (I dont think theres a name in english... maybe). Before that, I sat down behind a church to look out over the ocean and this guy selling hammocks and I started talking. He saw that I had an infected blister on my foot and recommened I get some stuff from the farmacy. Later, he accompanied me to go get it since I wasnt quite sure what he was saying.
There's this one street that, at night, street vendors set up stands and make all different types of alcoholic, tropical drinks and smoothies for 5 reais.... about 3 dollars of fresh fruit and a little too much vodka, which is perfect.
I'm never in a hurry when I walk around here. In fact, I usually walk as slow as possible. Especially since I have this horrible blister on one of my toes.
Thankfully, since I learned in Limahow tiring it can be just to start a conversation with a boy, I have barely talked to any while I'm here.
Also, I met this really cool girl from Holland.

So, it's all good. I'm very happy.
I didn't really like São Paulo that much... its very modern and business-like and very... I dont know, didn't have what I was looking for. It had huge, air-conditioned shopping malls, with over-priced parking garages and movie theatres playing Hollywood movies. In São Paulo, I felt like I was in any big city in any part of the industrialized world.
Even though I can't speak Portuguese like I can speak Spanish, I found out that I can still have a pretty meaningful conversation with someone and find my way around somewhere I've never been.

I miss all of you who are reading this... see you soooooon.

No comments:

Post a Comment