Thursday, November 19, 2009

(I Stand) Corrected and other Clarifications

Hey hey hey. These are things I've learned in reference to statements or observations I've made in previous posts that I was wrong about or that are in need of clarification

1. Peru's abortion laws aren't the absolute most restrictive in South America. According to one lady on the panel for a legalizing abortion debate at La Catolica, Chile allows abortion under no circumstances while Peru allows it in cases where the women's life is endangered.

Also, there really is a debate going on in this country about abortion. I've been seeing sides for meetings and discussions and such pertaining to both sides of the argument... mostly inside of La Catolica, but outside too.

Also, Mariah went to a place called Los Olivos and homemade signs (think microsoft office style) straight-up advertising the services of an abortion doctor. And she's also talked with people that have said that getting abortions here is super common.

2. I said I didn't know why there were only men at that one bar I went to (where we finished an entire bottle of Pisco)... It was because of the lighting. At that place the lighting is really bright and the whole point is to go there and talk and debate and be comfortable if you happen to be two men going out for a drink; that, as opposed to going to some place with dark lighting where the objective is going home with the other person at the end of the night.

3. People DO drink there hard alcohol with soda... like rum and coke. It may be that if someone invites you to have a drink with no mixer or chaser, their intentions are a little questionable...

4. At la Catolica at least, there's always lots of signs and conversastions about LGBT issues and women's rights and violence against women, so it's not always SO heterosexual all the time.

5. Not everybody is Catholic (obviously). There is a considerable population of Evagelicals here. And Mormons too. In fact, I met both just the other week. However, I'm deciding to align my identity with the Catholic side of things. Now that I have my own personal saint, have a really cool shirt that has a huge image of Mary on both sides, and have attended 3 catholic processions for patron saints, I'm really starting to get a feel for it.

Anything else you would care to clarify for me or ask? I am always willing to consider the fact that I am not being fair or clear or specific enough or just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment