Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lost at C and no-expectations expectations

So. Here are some updates.

- I went to basketball practice tonight....! And, you may be wondering what kind of A-team La Catolica is repping. Rest assured, I think they are on par (maybe a little better) than my freshman high school team, so I'll fit right in. I'm pretty excited, since I spent a good part of last summer pestering people to play with me. I even bought a basketball that I didn't manage to use once. Mostly though, I'm excited to make friends with girls! That seems to be difficult here.
-I found a Capoeira group here. I am very very very excited about that. The mestre (the head of the group) and one of his long-time students are both Brazilian, from Bahia, and speak Portuguese. Which is fabulous. Since I want to speak Portuguese too. (Today, on the way to school, I was sitting in the very back of the combi and this old man, who is an electrician, started to talk to me. Eventually I found out that 1. He wasn't ill-intentioned and 2. His mom was from Portugal.... whence, we proceeded to talk half Portuguese half Spanish the rest of the ride to his destination).
-I got my first quiz back today! It was horrible. I got a C. I don't think I've gotten a C on anything since grade school.... I came in planning on taking it easy peasy and here I am, adrift, lost at sea, confused about a solid 50% of what's going on in my classes. But, thankfully, I have all weekend to get my act together as best as I can and start using the planner I recently bought.
-This last weekend I went to the center of Lima where you can buy anything. absolutely anything you want...
I bought: A Michael Jackson poster (for $0.35), some shoes, push pins, and other things.
That place is crazy. It's packed! It's like... street after street after street of stores inside and outside, upstairs and downstairs, and everywhere!

In general, things are going fine, but despite my initial efforts to have no expectations about anything, which succeeded tremendously, this is getting harder and harder to adhere to. I find myself getting my hopes up about certain, mostly inconsequential things only to realize that assumptions an anticipation and plans are all so precarious here. Despite that, however, even my smallest successes make me feel like maybe I'm starting to understand the rhythm, or rather, the jerky stop-and-go, grinding pace of life in Lima.

No comments:

Post a Comment